Mid-Week Mash is a new idea. I decided some time ago that I would only blog once a week, and add comments on Twitter and LinkedIn regularly. The mash is intended to share observations, ideas and suggestions for product management and product marketing. I’ll keep the content to less than a minute read, so you can catch it at lunchtime, a commute home or when you have time. So let’s get started.
Where do you TOTO (Think Outside The Office)?
I’m a big believer in leaving the office to think. Nothing does more for the mind than walking out of the office to clear the palette. Here are 10 things I use when I TOTO:
- Leave the office ALONE. (This isn’t a field trip and going to another floor or building doesn’t count)
- Limit distractions.
- Leave all electronic devices behind. (That way you won’t be disturbed)
- Don’t take any work with you.
- Tell someone you’re leaving the office, but you’ll be back.
- Determine how long you can be “unavailable” and truly TOTO
- Take index cards or a small pad and a pen or pencil to jot down any notes or ideas.
- Find a quiet place, if possible or create one where you won’t be distracted.
- Take 2 minutes to clear the gray matter.
- Begin thinking…
I’ve found this to be a great exercise and a way to clear my mind, reinvigorate my thought process and tackle some situations. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.